TGPLAN Workdays: Click on this button to go to the google docs folder of planning tools.
TGPLAN: Think Globally, Problem-solve Locally, Act Neighborly
The TGPLAN project involves these tasks:
- Individually research a global issue impacting Austin. Conduct primary source research by interviewing an expert, problem-solver, or visionary. (The interview transcript earns an individual grade in English, and then becomes group intellectual property.)
- As a group, design a solution to a local problem and TAKE ACTION in some way (we recommend that you document that action through photos/videos in case you want to use the footage in your advocacy work or presentations).
- Individually develop an ADVOCACY piece.
- Individually craft an expository/reflective ESSAY about your global issue and "take action" experience.
- PRESENT all of these elements to family/friends/community experts on the evening of April 26th (make plans to be here from 5:30 to 8:30 – the event runs from 5:45-8:15 p.m.)
Contact your project adviser with any questions/concerns. Mr. Tierney has a copy of project adviser assignments.
Click HERE to read an article on Education Week co-written by the ISSN Director, Lisa Tyrell, and AGS student Ana O'Quin about the TGPLAN experience. You, too, could be published by the ISSN!
SHOWCASE night resources:
Webster-created template (super simplistic -- add your own flair) for Showcase night
Student-created sample #1 ppt for Showcase Night
EXPERT rubric, front page
EXPERT rubric, back page
HANDOUTS related to this project-based, interdisciplinary, service-learning extravaganza:
TGPLAN Project Overview
Narrowing Your Focus
SAMPLE PROJECTS (for rubric practice day!)
Group 1:Podcast by Drake
Group 2: PSA by Jordan
Group 3: Chalkumentary by Valerie
Group 4: Website by Victoria
Group 5: PSA by Honus
Group 6: Song by Jon
Group 7: Website by Charlie
Group 8: Website by ATXHunger
RESEARCH RESOURCES (Articles for Independent Reading Day):
Statistics about HOMELESSNESS in Austin
HOMELESS Children in America
Mother Shares Story About Son's DRUG ABUSE
Drought and WATER QUALITY Issues
Where Will Austin Go for WATER Next?
FOOD WASTE in Austin
HUNGER in America
FEEDING AMERICA Volunteer Group Overview
Helping SPECIAL NEEDS Kids in America (Article about teachers in Illinois)
Lego Warriors Help SPECIALS NEEDS Children
The STAND FOR TREES Campaign
Saving the BUTTERFLIES
AIR POLLUTION in America
ZERO WASTE Goals in Austin
Save the BEES
Sample of an Interview Transcript
LOOKING FOR INSPIRATION?
PROFESSIONAL Advocacy Work:
I Am Here - Mobile Loaves and Fishes Awareness Campaign
Austin Humane Society - sample website
Even more STUDENT-MADE Advocacy Projects:
Jump to TGPLAN samples by clicking HERE!
Five Ways to Rock an Advocacy Video